Advanced Dermatology and Skin Cancer Institute
Michael T. Lin, M.D.
Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, USC
Diplomate, American Board of Dermatology and Micrographic Dermatologic Surgery
Fellow, American Society for Mohs Surgery
Dr. Lin is a board-certified dermatologist and Mohs surgeon with over 20 years of clinical experience handling complicated dermatologic conditions and skin cancer treatment. He has been a Qualified Medical Examiner for the state of California for two decades, written hundreds of QME reports, been deposed over fifty times, and testified in court. He is also a treating physician in the California Worker’s Compensation system. He is a member of many Medical Provider Networks (MPNs) in Southern California.
Dr. Lin is also available for medical-legal examinations, consultation, medical record review, and to serve as an expert witness. Dr. Lin accepts personal injury cases and is familiar with the lien process.
- What are the common issues evaluated and treated:
– Skin Cancer, Allergic Reactions, Scarring (Burns, Traumatic, Post-surgical), Insect Bites, and Varicose Veins
- How does Dr. Lin determine the Impairment Rating for Skin Conditions?
– Usually based on the AMA guides, 5th edition, evaluating the Signs and Symptoms, ADLs, and Frequency of Treatments Needed. Also, impairment is based on the examples seen in Chapter 8.7, pages 178-187. For example, for Skin Cancer, these are some of the general criteria: (1) Extent of signs of sun damage, (2) frequency of treatment with liquid nitrogen for actinic keratosis. (3) Extent of sun exposure at work. (4) Extent of recreational sun exposure and pre-employment sun exposure. (5) Personal history of skin cancer. (6) Extent of need for future treatment and surveillance for future skin cancers.
- What are some common procedures that are requested for the treatment of various skin conditions?
- Skin Cancers/ Pre-cancers- liquid nitrogen, photodynamic therapy with aminolevulinic acid, excision, electrodesiccation and curettage, Mohs surgery.
- Scars- bleaching cream, chemical peels, fractional laser resurfacing
- Varicose veins- Sclerotherapy, Clarivein, Endovenous ablation